Formation of Committee
Date: December 1998
This was the first formal meeting, the public were invited along, and we became formally constituted. The main aims of the committee then, as now, are (a bit long winded!):
The objects of the Association shall be to promote the benefits of the inhabitants of South Uist and its environs without distinction of sex, sexuality, political, religious or other opinions by associating the local statutory authorities, voluntary organisations and inhabitants in a common effort to advance education and to provide facilities, or assist in the provision of facilities, in the interest of social welfare for recreation and other leisure-time occupation so that their conditions of life may be improved and in furtherance thereof:
- To promote interest and participation in sport and sport related recreation in the Iochdar area, especially in the interests of education, social welfare and health.
- To assist in the co-ordination of the various sports clubs and recreational organisations in the Iochdar area, both generally and in relation to specific projects.
- To examine the available sports and recreation facilities in the Iochdar area as against current and anticipated need and to make applications to the local ocuncil, local enterprise company and any other appropriate body in this connection.
- To encourage the formation of sports clubs and recreational organisations where none exist or where existing clubs are unable to fulfil current needs.
- To publish and distribute, as considered desirable, up-to-date information on sports clubs and recreational organisations, activities and facilities.
- To liase with Comhairle nan Eilean Siar's Sports development staff in furtherance of these objects.
- To raise funds for such charitable purposes as the Association may deem appropriate.
- To promote all activities which will reflect the above mentioned activities.
Further information is available in our constitution (PDF 180K).